Registration information

myWSU registration

Students can complete most registration processes on the Web using myWSU. myWSU is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For questions related to myWSU registration, contact the Registrar's Office at 360-546-9565 or 360-546-9553.

Note: Students must have a network ID (NID) and password to register on the Web.

  1. Go to myWSU.
  2. Enter network ID and password.
  3. Select Academics, Register & Plan, then Registration.

Students who have questions or problems with either their network ID or password should visit an open student lab (VMMC 101, VCLS 218, or VLIB 102, and speak with a lab assistant. Students may also contact the WSU Vancouver Help Desk at 360-546-9770, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. On Saturdays and Sundays from noon – 5 p.m. students may go to the VLIB 102 computer lab or call 360-546-9543 for help with their NID or password.

Change of address

Students are responsible for maintaining address and contact information. myWSU is available to update the information.

Priority registration

Each semester, currently enrolled students will receive notification regarding priority registration for the following term. The notification will provide instructions on how students can check the Web for important information regarding registration times and holds and a list of courses being offered.

Students should plan to register at their designated myWSU registration appointment time or as soon as possible after this time to ensure the best chance of getting into the classes they need. myWSU registration times are assigned based on class standing and total credit hours earned.

Adds/drops/course withdrawals

Adds: Classes may be added using myWSU through the end of the first week of the fall or spring semester. After the first week, the student must obtain the instructor's (or department designee's) approval to add a class. Any credits added that will increase the amount of tuition due (e.g., part-time fees, fees over 18 credits) must be paid for at the time the credits are added. Failure to pay for additional credits at the time they are added may result in late payment fees.

Drops: Classes may be dropped using myWSU through the 30th day of the fall or spring semester.

Withdrawals: After the drop deadline, a student can still withdraw from a course with a grade of "W" through the fifth week of the fall or spring semester using myWSU. A $5.00 service fee will be charged to the student's account for each course withdrawal (see Rule 68).

A course withdrawal after the fifth week of the fall or spring semester is available to students during their undergraduate careers, regardless of the number of undergraduate degrees earned. The grade will be recorded as a "W" and the $5.00 service fee will be assessed (see Rule 69).

For undergraduates who entered WSU in the fall of 2004 or later, the maximum number of WSU withdrawals (including the two uncontested withdrawals) is 4, not counting withdrawals that result from a cancellation of enrollment. For undergraduates who entered WSU in the fall of 1998 through the summer of 2004, the maximum number of WSU withdrawals (including the two uncontested withdrawals) is 6, not counting withdrawals that result from a cancellation of enrollment.

If an undergraduate student uses a withdrawal during the semester but ends up cancelling his/her enrollment for the term, the earlier withdrawal will not count toward the total of 4 or 6.

A student may, in exceptional circumstances, submit a petition through the Registrar's Office for an exception to the withdrawal limit (see Rule 57). The petition must be filed by the end of the semester in which the course was taken.

Administrative withdrawals

Students who are reported by the department as not having attended class and laboratory meetings during the first week of the semester may be dropped from the course by the department. (Students should not assume that they have been dropped without verification from the department or the Registrar's Office.) Students who believe they have extenuating circumstances which prevent their attendance during the first week should contact the Registrar's Office. The Registrar's Office will notify instructors of the absence and the reason for it. Instructors shall determine whether to accept the excuse, waive the absence, and permit make-up work.

Auditing courses

An auditor is a class visitor permitted on a space-available basis to observe class discussions but not take examinations or consume the instructor's time. Attendance in class beyond three visitations requires official approval on the Request for Permit to Audit card. Students may seek permission, after the start of classes, to audit a lecture course by securing the approval of the class instructor.

Those wishing to audit or change from credit to audit must pay the appropriate fee and submit the signed audit card to the Registrar's Office before the end of the fourth week of instruction in the semester. An enrollment change from audit to credit is limited to the first two weeks of instruction. A maximum of two audits are allowed for any semester or term.

A registration fee per audit hour is charged for any semester or term for other than regularly enrolled full-fee-paying students. Senior citizens are exempt from this fee under the provisions of RCW 28B.15.540, provided the prescribed eligibility requirements are met. Personnel who have received authorization for the faculty/staff fee waiver are exempt from the audit fee up to 6 hours (including audits) in any one semester or 4 hours (including audits) in the summer session. Said limitation includes any combination of credit and audit hours. Audit fee is non-refundable.

No university credit will be allowed for auditing courses, nor may students apply for or take special examinations for university credit in courses which they have audited. Students may not take challenge examinations (see Rule 15c) in courses they have audited. (Audit enrollments will be recorded on the student's permanent record by listing the departmental prefix, course number and the statement, "OFFICIAL AUDIT NO CREDIT.")

Cancellation of enrollment

Cancellation of enrollment (withdrawal from all classes for a specific term) may be processed using myWSU until the day before classes begin each semester. To cancel enrollment after the start of the semester, students should go to and submit a form electronically. If a student stops attending classes, but does not officially cancel enrollment, he/she will continue to be charged fees until the University is officially notified of his/her intentions. For information regarding the refund of tuition/fees, please refer to the tuition and fees page.

Late registration

If a student's initial registration for a semester is on the first day of classes through the second Friday of the semester, he/she will be assessed a late registration fee. Registration after the tenth day of the semester will not be permitted without prior approval from the Registrar's Office. If permission is granted a late registration fee is collected.

Pass-fail option

Selection of the pass/fail grading option cannot be accomplished using myWSU. Students who want to take a course pass/fail should contact their academic advisor for assistance.

The deadline for selecting the pass/fail grading option is the end of the third week of the fall or spring semester. General Education Requirements (GERs) may not be taken pass/fail (by undergraduate students) under any circumstances.

Academic Calendar

The Academic Calendar lists the specific dates that apply to all registration deadlines. Be sure to select Vancouver and the appropriate term (Fall, Spring, Summer) in the drop down menus.

Registration holds

Registration holds can be placed on student records by administrative offices. Students with one or more registration holds will be unable to register until all holds are cleared.

Click here for a list of offices that must be contacted for each type of hold.

Special Problems — 499

Prior to enrollment for a Special Problems course, a student must (1) crystallize an independent study intent and design, (2) negotiate a proposal including credit value (from 1 to 4) with the faculty member under whose jurisdiction the Special Problem will be conducted, and (3) have the proposal approved by the department head and filed with the student's records. Upon completion, Special Problems courses are graded S or F and may be repeated for credit in subsequent semesters. Maximum credit per semester, per department, may not exceed 4 credits. The following categories represent the type of independent study undertaken as a Special Problem:

  1. Research studies dealing with technical or specialized problems.
  2. Selection and analysis of reading relating to a specific subject, theme, concept, or interdisciplinary topic.
  3. The further development of a skill or aptitude through a creative prospect in the arts, sciences, or humanities.
  4. Off-campus field experience or other nontraditional learning experiences not available through conventional offerings.