Diversity mission & goals
In collaboration with other departments, Student Diversity strives to increase access to higher education for students of diverse backgrounds and to promote an inclusive environment for diverse students.
- Create, maintain and collaborate on programs that promote a positive and welcoming campus community for students of diverse backgrounds
- Lead recruitment and outreach efforts for students of color, first-generation, low-income and other students of diverse backgrounds
- Work in partnership to create and maintain programs that improve rates of retention, achievement and graduation for students of diverse backgrounds
- Provide personal support for students, as well as refer and connect students with campus resources
- Empower and encourage students to lead by providing leadership opportunities and supporting student clubs and organizations related to diversity.
Student Diversity Team
Apply for a position with the Student Diversity Team:
Volunteer and leadership opportunities
Student Diversity works in collaboration with the Office of Admissions, faculty, and students to coordinate on-campus visitation programs that target prospective students who have been historically underrepresented in higher education (ex. low-income students, first-generation students and students of color). Some of these programs include:
Our recruitment strategies include recruiting at diverse high schools, participating in early outreach programs, and attending multicultural events and college fairs including the Wacipi Powwow, the Thurston Group Black College Tour, Asian Youth Leadership Summit, Russian Youth Leadership conference, Latino Youth Summit, Cesar Chavez Conference and the Student of Color Conference.
We have partnered with youth organizations like GEAR UP, AVID, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and the Boys and Girls Club to increase access to higher education for students in our community.