Our Young Black Men Are Dying and Nobody Seems to Care
7 p.m. Wednesday, April 1
Check back here for information about upcoming Marquee Diversity events. Click here for a listing of past speakers and events.
Marquee Diversity Events (MDE) bring 1-2 nationally recognized speakers/performers to campus each year. The events serve to bring issues of diversity, social justice and multiculturalism to our community. Speakers/Performers are chosen by a committee that includes students, staff, and faculty.
- Select programming that raises cultural and diversity awareness and/or confronts discrimination
- Emphasize student leadership and student experience in process of selecting speaker and coordinating event
- Achieve a diverse audience
- Mary González, November 6, 2014: "Identity, Culture and Social Justice: How Tortillas and Rainbows Taught Me to Change the World"
- Platanos Y Collard Greens, March 12, 2014
- Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai, March 27, 2013: "The Power of Words"
- Massive Monkees, November 15, 2012
- Mark Zupan, March 7, 2012: "Murderball: Smashing Stereotypes"
- Michelle Alexander, December 1, 2011: "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness"
- Nikki Giovanni, March 9, 2011: "An Evening of Poetry, Love and Enlightenment"
- Winona LaDuke, March 2010: Indigenous Strategies for a Sustainable Future*
- Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai, November 2009: Spoken Word Artist
- Jennifer Jako, April 2009: Positive: Living with HIV*
- 9 Parts of Desire, January 2009: One woman play about 9 Iraqi women
- Step Afrika, April 2008: Stepping history and performance
- Bil and Joe, November 2007: When the Gays Move Into Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood*
- David Cole, February 2007: Enemy Aliens and Constitutional Freedoms: How Double Standards Have Undermined Our Liberty, Our Character and Our Security in the War on Terror*
*Download an audio or video podcast of these lectures by visiting WSU Vancouver's iTunes U site.
Are you interested in bringing diversity related speakers or performers to campus? Interested in gaining skills in event planning? Contact Bola at email@example.com or 360-546-9568