Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
"Empowering Youth through Engagement and Service"
Monday, January 21, 2013
Firstenburg Student Commons
10 a.m. — 2 p.m.
Free and open to the public
The theme of this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service event is Empowering Youth through Engagement and Service. The event will include a keynote speaker and special music, followed by various youth-centered activities and hands-on service projects that will benefit local youth organizations. Between January 7 — 21, we will be collecting hygiene products for Janus Youth Programs and school supplies for Vancouver Public Schools.
Event will include:
- Keynote speaker, Dr. Tillie MakePeace, Program Director of Janus Youth Programs
- Music and spoken word poetry
- An MLK Day T-shirt to the first 80 people to arrive
- Youth Activities (all ages)
- Card making: cards will be included in hygiene packs for youth experiencing homelessness
- MLK Jr. Story Time
- Craft activities
- Service Opportunities (14 years old — adult)
- Homelessness - Close to Home Project: create hygiene packs for youth experiencing homelessness
- Back to School Backpack Project: assemble donated school supplies for classrooms in the Vancouver School District
How to participate
- RSVP to attend the MLK Day of Service event on January 21
- Donate school supplies and hygiene products between January 7 — 21
- Sign your group up to be a part of the MLK 100 club!
Kids under 14 should be accompanied by parent or guardian
- American Democracy Project at WSU Vancouver
- Associated Students of Washington State University Vancouver
- Corporation for National Community Service
- Cougar Pride Club
- Diversity Council
- Human Development Club
- iTech Prep High School
- Janus Youth Programs
- Latino Student Association
- Public Affairs Department
- River Cities Anthropology Society
- Student Diversity office
- Vancouver Public Schools
- Youth Group from the Unitarian Universalist Church of Vancouver
Free parking is in Orange Lot #2. Click here for a map and directions to campus.
For more information, contact Bola Majekobaje, Student Diversity, 360-546-9568, email@example.com.