Free screen readers
Full System Readers
- NV Access (Formerly NVDA) (Windows)
- TalkBack (Android)
- VoiceOver (MacOS)
- VoiceOver (iOS)
- Orca (Linux)
- ChromeVox (ChromeOS)
For the duration of the COVID 19 epidemic, students have access to a free, at-home license of the normally paid JAWS screen reader from Freedom Scientific. From the computer you intend to install the software on, use the following guide to register and install the software. (Note: Users are limited to activation for 3 devices. The product will expire a year after activation.)
- Step 1: Visit Portal.FreedomScientific.com and select the 'Register as new user' link. Fill in the form, making sure to use your WSU email address, but create a new password. (Only fields marked with an asterisk are required.)
- Step 2: A confirmation link will be sent to your WSU email. Select it and sign into the Freedom Scientific Portal. After logging in, select the 'Add this product to your account' link.
- Step 3: Select the 'activate this computer' button and run the customized activation program that downloads. (Note: This download only authorizes your computer, it does not install the program itself. The activation program cannot be reused or shared. Steps 3 and 4 must be completed on each computer you wish to install JAWS on.)
- Step 4: Visit Support.FreedomScientific.com/Downloads/JAWS to download the latest version of the JAWS installer. Run the installer to install the JAWS program.