In collaboration with other departments, Student Diversity strives to increase access to higher education for students of diverse backgrounds and to promote an inclusive environment for diverse students.
- Create, maintain and collaborate on programs that promote a positive and welcoming campus community for students of diverse backgrounds
- Lead recruitment and outreach efforts for students of color, first-generation, low-income and other students of diverse backgrounds
- Work in partnership to create and maintain programs that improve rates of retention, achievement and graduation for students of diverse backgrounds
- Provide personal support for students, as well as refer and connect students with campus resources
- Empower and encourage students to lead by providing leadership opportunities and supporting student clubs and organizations related to diversity.
At the Student Diversity Center, we are committed to:
- Inclusion: Cultivating a welcoming and inclusive environment on campus where differences are respected and celebrated.
- Social Justice: Increasing awareness of social justice issues and taking action to end oppression based on race, gender identity and expression, ethnicity, religion, class, sexual orientation, age, and physical and mental abilities.
- Knowledge: Seeking out new information and perspectives to enhance our personal understanding of the human experience and challenges impacting marginalized and underserved communities.
- Leadership: Pursuing opportunities for growth in an effort to become more effective leaders, allies and advocates on the path to a more just society.
- Dialogue: Encouraging positive dialogue to promote cross-cultural understanding, collaboration, and personal reflection.